Friday, July 29, 2011

There Will Be Water

Well, guys, this is still a new blog for me. It's my second entry now.

In case anyone reads this who doesn't know me, I used to love going swimming every time the opportunity presented itself.

I lived in a trailer park called Sunrise Village - which is in Cocoa, just fifteen to twenty minutes away from where I live - until I was ten. Anyways, they had a community playground and swimming pool within the trailer park. I used to walk over there, just about every single day - with my older brother Joe, younger brother Pat, and younger sister Sarah - and go swimming. Even though I was a little kid, I used to chat with some of the older kids there too - which was a part of how I got into heavy metal music, because many of them were into it.

But, in March of 1993, my family and I moved to Ridge Manor Estates, here in Merritt Island. We had our own pool now, but our swimming was limited - as our folks still didn't trust us to swim unsupervised. Eventually, when I became a teenager, my folks gave us a little bit more leeway.

However, by that time, I began to lose interest in swimming. I'd either stay in my room and listen to music, read, or write in my journal - and my interest in writing grew. Of course, us aspiring writers rely on our life experiences for inspiration. In the last few years, I've been in a writing rut, because I've been staying in - except for when I'm at work, or on those Saturday nights when I go to Spanky's Pub for karaoke.

So much has happened this summer, and it's inspired me to want to expand my horizons again. And today, for the first time in God knows how many years, I went out into the back porch, and into the pool, and went swimming for about an hour. It was literally a breath of fresh air!

And, who knows? Maybe this will inspire me to take it even further, and go to the beach too - for the first time in what seems like an eternity. Maybe then, I'll have a little bit of color, my hair will start thickening again, and perhaps I'll even meet my soulmate there.

Yeah, I'm going hardcore now, with wandering away from my recent routine. I'll be twenty-nine years old on Tuesday, and I want to make the best of things in the one year I have left before turning thirty.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mark. Just trying to see if this will let me comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, Anna, I saw your comment.

    ReplyDelete